If you are just using jQuery (presumably for your production site not the admin interface) why not save yourself the hassle and use the copy in Google's CDN?

http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/

You can do things using Google's loader (which I'm not a huge fan of, though it is a neat idea) or you can simply use their URI: http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.2.6/jquery.min.js .

Save yourself the maintenance.