Passenger does work well with Radiant, but in some instances you might need
to chown or chgrp certain directories to the DefaultPassengerUser that
you've specified in your respective config file (Apache or nginx). Some
places I've had to do this recently

(assuming radiant mysite)

(...)/mysite
(...)/mysite/tmp -r
(...)/mysite/environment.rb
(...)/mysite/public/assets (for paperclipped)
(...)/mysite/public/galleries (for gallery)

I don't quite know why these directories aren't created with the correct
permissions in the first place, but it's a little gotcha that could save you
a lot of time.

Charlie