Nate,

Sorry I can't answer your question directly, but as an alternative you might
consider applying the alternating classes to list elements using javascript.
Some of the appeal in offering Textile or markdown for content editors is
that they have a simple syntax to learn, e.g. asterisks create bullet lists.
As soon as you say to your editors "You have to add a class name in brackets
after the asterisk (but make sure there is no space between the asterisk and
the opening bracket!)", you've lost the simplicity of textile. It would be
preferable to keep the textile code simple, and apply the classes
unobtrusively with javascript.

The following snippet of jQuery would do the trick:

$(document).ready(function() {
  $("#content ul li:nth-child(3n+1)").addClass("one");
  $("#content ul li:nth-child(3n+2)").addClass("two");
  $("#content ul li:nth-child(3n)").addClass("three");
});

This assumes that the user-editable content is inside a
needs.

I used this technique to apply alternate bullet point styles to the <li> on
this site:

    http://westportbookfestival.org/media

[See the list at the bottom of the page]

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Drew