On Mar 19, 2010, at 1:13 PM, Josh French wrote:

>> Question is, what is the best way of doing this - there seems to be
>> a few
>> extensions out there for copying layouts in and out of the database,
>> but
>> nothing that seems to make a file based layout a first class
>> citizen...
>
> We've been using the File System extension
> (http://ext.radiantcms.org/extensions/67-file-system
> ) but I recently looked into File System Resources
> (http://ext.radiantcms.org/extensions/148-file-system-resources
> ) and I think I like its approach better.

I agree. File System Resources is a bit better since you don't need to copy
data back and forth.
I have a few updates in my fork
http://github.com/saturnflyer/radiant-file-system-resources-extension

But if the original question is about the files being first class citizens, you
still need to connect it to the data in the database somehow.
Without copying (like File System) or registering (like File System Resources)
you'd either need to alter the code to just look for your layout file (only
one, or select based on URL, or something) or you'd need to alter the pages
table to select a layout_file instead of a layout_id.
If each page had a layout_file, you could do away with the Layouts tab
altogether or change it to only show what you have in the file system. Snippets
would be even easier since there are no references to that table (but I'd
choose a different name for that, like Fragments or something, just to keep
your head clear).

Jim Gay
http://www.saturnflyer.com