Hmmm...

Some thoughts:

1) You could maintain multiple independent sessions logically by simply establishing some naming convention of session key values in the one session. All admin session keys are session[:admin_xxx] and all "regular" session keys are session[:regular_xxx]. You could enforce this fairly easily with a couple of wrapper functions and the discipline to never access the session directly.

2) You could also embed one "session" inside the standard session object by simply establishing a session key of "inner_session" (or "admin_session" or whatever). This would likely require you to decide which session the top-level keys represented and which the "inner" key was responsible for. Same as #1, just not flat.

3) You could maintain a Session AR object independent of the "session" object. Similarly, if you were using cookie based sessions, you could always just maintain a completely separate cookie that you manage by hand.

4) You could always force a logout from one auth. system when the user logs in to the other, assuming that both logins don't need to be active at the same time.