I just went through this dance last week :) Check out:
http://docs.heroku.com/constraints#git-submodules

Also here's the quick and easy way to install extensions that play
well w/ Heroku:
$ git clone git://github.com/saturnflyer/radiant-vhost-extension.git
vendor/extensions/vhost

and optionally/when available:
$ rake radiant:extensions:<extension_name>:update
$ rake radiant:extensions:<extension_name>:install

then push to Heroku!
$ git push heroku master
$ heroku db:push

Hope that helps!