I finally figured this out :) I ended up not using any of the mailer
tags and just built the html form manually. It seems that the mailer
tags might be a bit outdated since they use the deprecated "name"
attribute instead of "id" when it generates the form html tags. I'm
not sure exactly what it was about the mailer-version of the form that
was causing jquery to not integrate properly but all is working well
now w/ out mailer tags!

Now if I could only figure out how to send multiple emails w/ mailer
I'd be all set! :P
http://groups.google.com/group/radiantcms/t/d61aefec680aabf1