Hi Andrew,

On Feb 17,  4:47pm, Andrew wrote:
> Subject: (RADIATOR) Two questions...
> Radiator continues to perform very nicely, but I'm at a loss on two little
> things.
>
> First, we're seeing duplicate ID errors, but what's odd is that they come
> in bursts.  Things will be just fine for a long time, then suddenly I'll
> see a bevy duplicate request errors from several different NASs within
> about ten seconds of each other.  Any ideas?

Was it auth or accounting requests, or both?

1. A short lived blockage in your network (router reboot?) that causes some of
the Radius replies to get lost, NAS then retransmits and radius server ignores
the duplicate. This could only affect auth requests.

2. If DupInterval is set too long, you might see the identifiers wrapping at
times of peak usage. Try setting DupInterval to say, 30 or less.

> The other thing is more easily explainable.  We're using our own SQL
> stanzas for accounting (using AcctSQLStatement in the config file), but
> I'm relatively frequently seeing errors like this one:
>
> Wed Feb 17 16:09:23 1999: ERR: do failed for 'UPDATE CallsOnline SET
> acctinputoctets = , acctoutputoctets = , acctsessiontime = ,
> acctterminatecause = 0 WHERE acctsessionid = '284842146' AND nasidentifier
> = '209.16.18.34'': ORA-00936: missing expression (DBD: error possibly near
> <*> indicator at char 42 in 'UPDATE CallsOnline SET acctinputoctets = <*>,
> acctoutputoctets = , acctsessiontime = , acctterminatecause = 0 WHERE
> acctsessionid = '284842146' AND nasidentifier = '209.16.18.34'')
>
> Now, it's obvious from looking at the SQL statement that it's lacking
> several variables, but these variables are definitely in the stanza in the
> config file.  It looks like this:
>
>       AcctSQLStatement  UPDATE CallsOnline SET acctinputoctets = \
>          %{Acct-Input-Octets}, acctoutputoctets = %{Acct-Output-Octets}, \
>          acctsessiontime = %{Acct-Session-Time}, acctterminatecause = \
>          0 WHERE acctsessionid = '%{Acct-Session-Id}' \
>          AND nasidentifier = '%{NAS-Identifier}'
>
> First of all, does anyone know why some accounting packets are lacking
> these variables?  My rather uneducated guess is that it's someone who
> logged on and right back off again, but I'm really just pulling that idea
> out of thin air.

You wont see those attributes in an accounting Start, or possibly with a shell
or exec session (depending on your NAS)

ON the other hand, if its jyst randomly omitting some of those variables, I
would look to the NAS software.

Perhaps if you run Radiator at trace level 4 for a while, you might be able to
get a packet dump of one of these offending packets, then we can see if there
are any clues in the other attributes?

> Failing an explanation for the missing variables, does anyone have any
> suggestions on how to deal with these errors appropriately?  The result of
> the error is that we end up with a start record in our CallsOnline table,
> but no stop record, so for all intents and purposes, this user is
> indefinitely logged on.

You dont say what database you are using, but mysql for example allows you to
have if() clauses in your select so that the select statment could detect the
empty string and replace it with NULL, or 0 or something.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

--
Mike McCauley                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Open System Consultants Pty. Ltd             Unix, Motif, C++, WWW

Platypus, Freeside, external, etc etc etc on Unix, Win95, NT, Rhapsody