We are working to get Radiator working on several AIX servers. It
hasn't been difficult to get it to authenticate, but accounting has
been more iffy. Note that our network is exclusively PortMasters, which
default to using ports 1645 and 1646. I've configured Radiator to use
those, to avoid accidents, and it does.

My problem comes when I initially start Radiator. The server has
previously been running Livingston Radius 2.01. I kill that and start
up Radiator. Authentication starts working immediately. But accounting
records get lost. Putting Radiator in Trace 4 mode, it is clear that it
is not even seeing accounting records. Yet it doesn't seem reasonable
that the PortMasters should suddenly stop sending them.

I've only tried this twice so far. The first instance started recording
accounting reliably after some time, maybe an hour or more. The second
hasn't been running long enough to see if the same result occurs. Both
of the servers are handling only one NAS thus far and the traffic is
pretty low.

On the chance that AIX had some problem reallocating a port to a new
listener, I've also run Radiator with the new port numbers, 1812 and
1813, and changed the PortMaster. It still did not immediately record
accounting. I didn't leave that running long enough to know if it would
have started later.

Here is an extract of the configuration file I'm using.

LogDir /var/adm/radacct
DbDir /etc/raddb
AuthPort 1645
AcctPort 1646
LivingstonOffs 29
LivingstonHole 2
# Yes, this server is not in the US.
<Client localhost>
  Secret mysecret
  DupInterval 0
</Client>
<Realm DEFAULT>
  <AuthBy FILE>
  </AuthBy>
  AcctLogFileName  %L/%c/detail
</Realm>
<Client 999.999.999.999>
  Secret nassecret
  NasType Livingston
  SNMPCommunity xxxxxx
</Client>

I can't afford to lose significant accounting information, particular
from some sites. Until I can understand what is happening here, I can't
deploy Radiator to our entire network. Does anybody have a clue as to
where I should look to solve this problem?
--
        Dave Close              Quik Internet
        +1 949 548 2171         Costa Mesa California