What version of perl are you using?  I am using 5.00405 and when I tried to run make
test, I got a screen full of errors.  Here is a few examples.

/usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.00405/CORE/scope.h:110: parse error before `bool'
/usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.00405/CORE/scope.h:110: warning: no semicolon at end of
struct or union
In file included from /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/i386-linux/auto/DBI/DBIXS.h:13,
                 from FreeTDS.h:45,
                 from FreeTDS.xs:35:
/usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.00405/CORE/perl.h:1322: parse error before `Perl_nomemok'
/usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.00405/CORE/perl.h:1322: warning: data definition has no
type or storage class

The errors ended in this

FreeTDS.c: In function `XS_DBD__FreeTDS__dr_discon_all_':
FreeTDS.c:71: warning: unused variable `ix'
FreeTDS.c: In function `XS_DBD__FreeTDS__st_fetchrow_arrayref':
FreeTDS.c:434: warning: unused variable `ix'
FreeTDS.c: In function `XS_DBD__FreeTDS__st_fetchrow_array':
FreeTDS.c:451: warning: unused variable `ix'
FreeTDS.c: In function `XS_DBD__FreeTDS__st_FETCH_attrib':
FreeTDS.c:562: warning: unused variable `ix'
make: *** [FreeTDS.o] Error 1

The Sybase option wont work with SQL 7.0 according to the Boardtown DBA who is here.

And the Openlink multi-tier distribution is incomplete.  The docs mention a udbc.ini
file in the bin directory.  There is no bin directory in the distribution, no udbc.ini
file anywhere.

"Our driver looks for a file pointed to by the environment variable
UDBCINI, or the file /etc/udbc.ini if the environment variable is not
defined. This file is located in the openlink/bin directory."

Thanks for any help.

..Rich