First a bit of the documentation (Emphasis added):

6.4.2 DefaultRealm
This optional parameter can be used to specify a default realm to use for
REQUESTS THAT DON'T ALREADY HAVE A REALM. The realm can then be used to
trigger a specific <Realm> clause. This is useful if you operate a number of
NASs for different customer groups and where all your customers log in
without specifying a realm.

# Realmless logins to this NAS will be treated
# as if they are for realm open.com.au
<Client acc1.open.com.au>
   Secret ....
   DefaultRealm open.com.au
</Client>
<Realm open.com.au>
</Realm>
----

Here's what we do:

<Client DEFAULT>
Secret  MySecret
IgnoreAcctSignature
DefaultRealm infowest.com
</Client>

So, if a user does NOT have a realm (our normal customers), we ASSIGN them
to the infowest.com realm.  In affect, it changes their login from username
to [EMAIL PROTECTED] .  One side-benefit is that all those folks who use
their email address as their login can now authenticate successfully.

I put the authentication stuff for my normal subscribers within
<Realm infowest.com>...</realm>

I then put the gric authentication lines in the <Realm DEFAULT> </realm>

The reason this works is because EVERY user will either be
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

All the @infowest.com goes through the <realm infowest.com>, all the others
through <realm Default> to be  authenticated by GRIC.

Hope that clears it up for you :)

Randy