Hi Jay -

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Jay West wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Just wanted to confirm my line of thinking on this with others. We want to
> set up redundant radiator servers for our domain. We want to have a primary
> and secondary, and NAS's will be told to check aaa in that order. If the
> primary machine goes down, the secondary will still answer. We will be using
> mySQL for the user database.
>
> My thought was to have two machines, with each machine running both radiator
> and mySQL. The radiator on the primary will use mySQL on the primary, the
> radiator on the secondary will use mySQL on the secondary. This should
> accomplish the above. Then we could set up radiator on the first machine to
> use mySQL on the second machine (in addition) in case it's own mySQL process
> fails and vice-versa on the secondary.
>
> Several questions:
>
> 1) Is this a good recommended configuration or is there something I'm
> missing or a better way to accomplish high availability? Do we need more
> machines?
> 2) In the above config, the primary takes the full load and the secondary
> only comes into play if the primary is down. In general terms, what changes
> would need to be made to implement load balancing between the two instead
> (with one machine taking the full load if the other fails)?

I think my preference would be for four (4) machines. Two Radiator hosts,
configured as you describe for fallback by the NAS's, and two SQL hosts with
Radiator configured to switch from one to the other in case of failure. You
could even run a multi-port RAID box on the back end between the SQL hosts to
mirror all of your SQL data. From a performance point of view it is a good idea
to split the Radiator packet processing away from anything else.

Isn't it amazing how much horsepower you can buy these days for not much money?!

And don't forget your network infrastructure - you would ideally like to have
multiple ethernet switches and two NIC's per host.

Just my 2 bob's worth.