I will give it a try, however I'm fairly sure we have tried.  In my case
there is a bit of a problem, I am generating/maintaining the password
files on our mail server.  There are 2 seperate radius servers who I rsync
the files over ssh to every change.  The radius server also act as backup
MX servers for us so I didn't want any local accounts on the machines.  In
my case I'm actually pointing to /usr/local/etc/shadow,passwd,group.

Will auth by system work in this way?  This is why I said I just whiped up
a little perl program to make the user:pass:uid:gid file in the mix.  On
the mail server I use PAM which matches primary and secondary just fine.

Jason