We just recently purchased Radiator with the intention of using it with a
MySQL database. The section of the configuration reference is a bit
confusing as to exactly how to configure for MySQL.

Following are the errors that I get when I try to launch radiusd. I've
spaced the output out a little to make it easier to read here. And, yes...I
know this reveals critical security information. Not knowing if the problem
may be in an illegal character, I felt it was necessary to include
everything. I fully intend on changing the passwords and/or logins after the
problem is resolved.

---begin errors snip---

[root@amy goodies]#
radiusd -config_file=tcm4.cfg -dictionary_file=../dictionary.usr

Can't read $DBI::errstr, last handle unknown or destroyed at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/Radius/SqlDb.pm line 127, <FILE> chunk 33.

Mon Dec 20 15:42:17 1999: ERR: Could not connect to SQL database with
DBI->connect dbi:mysql:tcm_radius:209.96.160.7:3306, amyradiator, anl!^nwl:

Mon Dec 20 15:42:17 1999: ERR: Could not connect to any SQL database.
Request is ignored. Backing off for 600 seconds

---end errors snip---

The config file which produced those errors is basiscally the
goodies/sql.cfg with the DBSource, DBUsername and DBAuth lines changed to
reflect our MySQL setup. Here is the entire config file...

---begin tcm4.cfg---

# common-sql.cfg
#
# Example Radiator configuration file that allows you to
# authenticate from an SQL database.
# With Radiator you can interface with almost any databse schema,
# and there are many more configurable parameters that allow you
# to control database fallback, select statements, column names
# and arrangements etc etc etc.
# See the reference manual for more details.
# This is a very simple exmaple to get you started. It will
# work with the tables created by the goodies/*.sql scripts.
#
# You should consider this file to be a starting point only
# $Id: sql.cfg,v 1.3 1999/07/29 02:38:10 mikem Exp $

Foreground
LogStdout
LogDir          .
DbDir           .

# You will probably want to change this to suit your site.
<Client DEFAULT>
        Secret  mysecret
        DupInterval 0
</Client>

# You can put client details in a database table
# and get their details from there with something like this:
<ClientListSQL>
        DBSource        dbi:mysql:tcm_radius:209.96.160.7:3306
        DBUsername      amyradiator
        DBAuth          anl!^nwl
</ClientListSQL>

# This will authenticate users from SUBSCRIBERS
<Realm DEFAULT>
    <AuthBy SQL>
        # Adjust DBSource, DBUsername, DBAuth to suit your DB
        DBSource        dbi:mysql:tcm_radius:209.96.160.7:3306
        DBUsername      amyradiator
        DBAuth          anl!^nwl
        # You may want to tailor these for your ACCOUNTING table
        AccountingTable ACCOUNTING
        AcctColumnDef   USERNAME,User-Name
        AcctColumnDef   TIME_STAMP,Timestamp,integer
        AcctColumnDef   ACCTSTATUSTYPE,Acct-Status-Type
        AcctColumnDef   ACCTDELAYTIME,Acct-Delay-Time,integer
        AcctColumnDef   ACCTINPUTOCTETS,Acct-Input-Octets,integer
        AcctColumnDef   ACCTOUTPUTOCTETS,Acct-Output-Octets,integer
        AcctColumnDef   ACCTSESSIONID,Acct-Session-Id
        AcctColumnDef   ACCTSESSIONTIME,Acct-Session-Time,integer
        AcctColumnDef   ACCTTERMINATECAUSE,Acct-Terminate-Cause
        AcctColumnDef   NASIDENTIFIER,NAS-Identifier
        AcctColumnDef   NASPORT,NAS-Port,integer
        AcctColumnDef   FRAMEDIPADDRESS,Framed-IP-Address
    </AuthBy>
</Realm>

---end tcm4.cfg---

"tcm_radius" is the MySQL database name and "amyradiator" is the username
which has privs from the IP address of the Radiator machine. From the
Radiator machine, I can connect to the MySQL database "tcm_radius" using the
MySQL command line client. This confirms it is not an access privilege
issues at the MySQL server. I can connect and run SQL queries to view the
sample data that the mysqlCreate.sql script inserted.

Anyone have any ideas? I am stumped and need to get this up and running as
soon as possbile. The accounting staff here would like RODOPI automatically
handling dial-in account management by the start of the new year.

Danny Whitesel
Techcom.net, Inc