Hello Aaron -

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Aaron Liu wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>     We got a frozen radiator which refused access-requests. Here is the
> debug log (at trace level 5) at that particular moment:
>
> Wed Jan 12 00:50:01 2000: DEBUG: Handling request with Handler
> 'Realm=DEFAULT'
> Wed Jan 12 00:50:01 2000: DEBUG: Deleting session for 40000021,
> 202.4.197.65, 97
> Wed Jan 12 00:50:01 2000: DEBUG: Handling with Radius::AuthLDAP
> Wed Jan 12 00:50:01 2000: DEBUG: Connecting to 202.4.192.196, port 389
> Wed Jan 12 12:00:27 2000: INFO: Server started
> Wed Jan 12 12:00:30 2000: DEBUG: Packet dump:
>
> Note that the server stopped responding at 00:50, when it was trying to
> connect to our LDAP server. We verified the unavailability by using radpwtst
> locally and got a 'No reply'. We restarted at 12:00 with a kill -HUP and it
> promptly accepted connection from the auth port again. Below is our
> configuration file:

> Foreground
> LogStdout
> LogDir                  /var/log/radius
> LogFile                 %L/%Y/%m/%d/log
> DictionaryFile          /usr/local/etc/dictionary
> PidFile                 /var/run/radiusd.pid
> DbDir           /var/log/radius
> Trace           5
> AuthPort        1645
> AcctPort        1646
>
> <Client DEFAULT>
>         Secret XXXXXXXX
>         DupInterval 0
> </Client>
>
> <Realm DEFAULT>
>         <AuthBy LDAP>
>                 # Tell Radiator how to talk to the LDAP server
>                 Host            202.4.192.196
>                 AuthDN          XXXXXXXXX
>                 BaseDN          XXXXXXXXX
>                 AuthPassword    XXXXXXXXX
>                 UsernameAttr    accessID
>                 PasswordAttr    accessPassword
>                 CheckAttr       accessCheckAttr
>                 ReplyAttr       accessReplyAttr
>
>                 AddToReply Framed-Protocol = PPP,\
>                         Service-Type = 2,\
>                         Framed-Routing = None,\
>                         Framed-MTU = 1500,\
>                         Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobson-TCP-IP
>         </AuthBy>
>         AcctLogFileName         %L/%Y/%m/%d/%H
> </Realm>

You should try using AuthBy LDAP2 and the corresponding Net::LDAP module.
Please have a look at section 6.30 in the Radiator 2.14.1 reference manual for
a discussion of the various LDAP options.

Could you also let us know what LDAP server you are using?

Note that there is a recent patch for Radiator 2.14.1:

7/1/00 Fixed a problem with AuthBy LDAP2, where recent versions
   of Net::LDAP do not support ldap_error_message.
   Download a new AuthLDAP2.pm from here.

hth