>Try this:
>
>       RewriteUsername s/\s//g
>
>In other words, "substitute (s) whitespace (/\s/) to nothing (//) everywhere
>(g - globally) in the line.
>
>To find out how to do it in Perl, I suggest the Llama book (Learning Perl from
>O'Reilly & Associates - www.ora.com).
>
>hth
>
>Hugh

Hugh and Mike helped me out a lot, as did other people on the list,
when I was trying to do this and other things.  So here are a whole
bunch of tricks that might help you:

         # Strip leading white space
         RewriteUsername s/^\s+//
         # Strip trailin white space
         RewriteUsername s/\s+$//
         # turn into lowercase and chop domain
         RewriteUsername tr/A-Z/a-z/
         RewriteUsername s/^([^@]+).*/$1/
         # strip any leading characters if a \ is present
         RewriteUsername s/^.*\\(.*)/$1/

This takes care of removing white, normalizing to lowercase, chopping
off realms, and removing MYDOMAIN\ from the front of the NT users
that lack clue and specify a domain in the dialup box.

On a Linux box that is pokey (233 MHz) this leaves lots of room for
authenticating thousands of users per day despite the large number of
Rewrites

Chris