Hi Beth -

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Beth Morgan wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I've been struggling with a SQL timeout problem for quite a while now.
> I checked the FAQs, and don't have the signs of a memory leak.  It looks
> like it's swap space!  (See below)  When this happens, processes remain
> running, but radiator can't access the MySQL database.  I have to reboot
> to get things going.
>
> Here is some pertinent info.
>
> FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE
> Perl:  5.00503
> MySQL version: 3.22.29
>
> May 15 14:49:28 ns3 /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
> May 15 14:49:28 ns3 /kernel: pid 70741 (perl5.00503), uid 0, was killed:
> out of swap space
>
> One thing I'm seeing is that when we use RAdmin for database functions,
> the system resources are sapped. Someone has suggested to me that our
> database is too huge for RAdmin to effectively search any longer.  That
> sounds reasonable to me, since the problem hasn't been with us from the
> start of our use of Radiator and RAdmin. Is there a utility we can use
> to backup the database on a scheduled basis to keep the main ones
> smaller?

How big are the databases? And what is in them? You would generally archive all
of the accounting data after a month or two, and your user database shouldn't
be all that big I wouldn't have thought. And if you are using the database for
logging the messages from Radiator, you can probably archive those after a week.

hth