Does someone have a example for splitting the auth. and the accounting?

----- Forwarded message from Hugh Irvine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

From: Hugh Irvine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Paul van der Zwan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: (RADIATOR) Multithreaded radiator.
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:35:21 +1100

Hello Paul -

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Paul van der Zwan wrote:
> Is there any chance of a multi-threaded Radiator ?? We are running into
> performance
> issues without running out of CPU cycles . Multi-threading might give us
> some more
> performance out of the same boxes.

Its not so much about Radiator as it is about Perl and the various Perl modules
that Radiator uses. However, there are some things you can do to improve at
least perceived performance:

1. Configure two copies of Radiator - one listening only on the authentication
port and only doing authentication, and the other listening only on the
accounting port and only doing accounting. This makes the authentication much
more responsive and lets accounting take as much time as it needs.

2. Add additional machines to do some preprocessing - if you are doing lots of
proxy requests, you can add a machine in front of your local machine to handle
all the proxy requests (and of course proxy your local requests to the local
machine).

3. Add multiple parallel Radiator hosts, configured identically, and put a UDP
redirector in front of them to spread the load.

4. Refer to section 23 in the Radiator 2.15 reference manual for more
suggestions.

hth

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Regards,

 Robin Gruyters - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - WISH BV - nic-hdl: RG3771-RIPE
 http://www.wish.net - tel: +31(0)413242500 - fax. +31(0)208762628
 PGP key ID DEB8C991 - Head Engineering / Web Designer / B.O.F.H.
 BOFH excuse: Virus due to computers having unsafe sex.