The following statements are in my radiusd.cfg file:

-- START radiusd.cfg --
#
# This AuthBy statement is used to allow the user's file
# to refer to a UNIX-style password file when authenticating
# users from the 'users' file. --jcoy
#
<AuthBy UNIX>
         Identifier      UNIX
         Filename        /usr/local/etc/shadow
         GroupFilename   /usr/local/etc/group
</Authby>

#
# This AuthBy statement defines the location of the 'users'
# file on the ANCI dial-up system. --jcoy
#
<AuthBy FILE>
         Identifier      AuthANCIUsers
         Filename        %D/users
</AuthBy>

#
# This realm handles every other user on the ANCI network.  --jcoy
#
<Realm DEFAULT>
         RewriteUsername tr/A-Z/a-z/
         AuthByPolicy    ContinueAlways

         AuthBy          AuthANCIUsers
</Realm>
-- STOP radiusd.cfg --

Then in my user's file I have:

-- START users --
#
# Default clause for handling everyone not handled explicitly above
#
DEFAULT Auth-Type = UNIX
         Ascend-Idle-Limit = 900,
         Ascend-Assign-IP-Pool = 0,
         User-Service = Framed-User,
         Framed-Protocol = PPP,
         Ascend-Maximum-Channels = 1,
         Ascend-Maximum-Call-Duration = 480,
         Ascend-Client-Primary-DNS = 10.10.10.1,
         Ascend-Client-Secondary-DNS = 10.10.10.2,
         Ascend-Client-Assign-DNS = DNS-Assign-Yes,
         Ascend-Shared-Profile-Enable = 0
-- STOP users --