Hello Brian -

On Wednesday 21 March 2001 21:57, Brian Morris wrote:
> Hugh,
>
> Is a NAS-like device required for PPPoE?  If so, can you (or anyone)
> suggest one?

PPPoE translates to "Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet", and just like
using PPP over modems, you need two ends to make a connection. Most ISP
operators who are doing broadband over cable, or xDSL, use some sort of mass
termination device to terminate the head-end of their subscribers' sessions.

The question for you is "how many sessions are you looking to terminate?".

If it is just one you could probably use a Linux box (or similar), but for
larger numbers you will probably want a higher density solution.

Others on the list have made a couple of suggestions regarding PPPoE devices,
and as I have no experience in that area I have nothing to add.

regards

-