Hi All,

Craig kindly let me investigate this problem, which has been solved (at least
for him). Here is the summary:

 That version of mysql creates /var/lib/mysql directory with incorrect
permissions.
The permissions were such that only mysql or root had permission to get to the
socket, and therefore to connect to the server. I have fixed it with

 chmod a+x /var/lib/mysql

This seems to be a straight bug in that release of mysql. It used to be that
the directory was created with
drwxr-xr-x
but yours was drwx------

I have added something to the Radmin list