From: Kitabjian, Dave [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: den 16 april 2001 21:31
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: (RADIATOR) Enforcing Time Abuse

We seem to have a constant chunk of ports hogged up by users who aren't
using the Internet "interactively". This kills our dialup resources (and
violates our Terms and Conditions).

We already have an Idle-Timeout set, but that doesn't catch people who have
AIM running, or who set Eudora to automatically check their mail every 10
minutes, since they pass data. And we don't want to use Session-Timeout
since that will kick them off even if they're "active" at the time of the
Timeout.

So...

What we'd really like is a "parametrized Idle-Timeout": an Idle-Timeout that
will kick you off if your recent usage falls BELOW AN ADJUSTABLE THRESHOLD
of bytes/minute. Is there such a thing?

Another option might be a "conditional Session-Timeout": after
Session-Timeout is exceeded, prompt the user if he needs to remain
connected, and if there is no reply after X minutes, disconnect them. Is
this possible?

Or, what other solutions are out there for attacking this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Dave