Actually, I managed to get it working using your hints and a
user file.  I just replaced the Auth-Type to point to the
identifier specified by the <AuthBy GROUP>:

In my "users" file:

DEFAULT Auth-Type = ANCI-SQLFallbackFILE
        Ascend-Idle-Limit = 1800,
        Ascend-Assign-IP-Pool = 0,
        User-Service = Framed-User,
        Framed-Protocol = PPP,
        Ascend-Maximum-Call-Duration = 480,
        Ascend-Client-Primary-DNS = 208.133.27.10,
        Ascend-Client-Secondary-DNS = 216.152.26.168,
        Ascend-Client-Assign-DNS = DNS-Assign-Yes,
        Ascend-Shared-Profile-Enable = 0,
        Ascend-Multicast-Client = 1,
        Ascend-Multicast-Rate-Limit = 5

and in my radiusd.cfg:

<AuthBy GROUP>
        Identifier      ANCI-SQLFallbackFILE
        AuthByPolicy    ContinueWhileIgnore

        AuthBy          ANCI-AuthSQLPasswd
        AuthBy          UNIX
</AuthBy>

This way I could set default attributes and fall back to a flat
file if the SQL database failed.  Worked like a champ.

Thanks a ton for your assistance!