Hello Dan -

The best way to do this sort of thing is like this:

# define Client clauses

<Client 1.1.1.1>
Identifier Ascend-Type-A
</Client>

<Client 2.2.2.2>
Identifier Ascend-Type-A
</Client>

<Client 3.3.3.3>
Identifier Ascend-Type-B
</Client>

<Client 4.4.4.4>
Identifier Ascend-Type-C
</Client>

# define AuthBy clauses

<AuthBy ...>
Identifier Auth-Ascend-Type-A

<AuthBy ...>
Identifier Auth-Ascend-Type-B

<AuthBy ...>
Identifier Auth-Ascend-Type-C

# define Handlers

<Handler Client-Identifier = Ascend-Type-A>
AuthBy Auth-Ascend-Type-A
</Handler>

<Handler Client-Identifier = Ascend-Type-B>
AuthBy Auth-Ascend-Type-B
</Handler>

<Handler Client-Identifier = Ascend-Type-C>
AuthBy Auth-Ascend-Type-C
</Handler>

Hope that helps.

regards