On 02/28/2012 09:58 PM, Alan Buxey wrote:

> PEAPv0 is the standard method that everyone uses that was created by
> RSA/Microsoft/Cisco
> (I think Intel had some say as well...but cant recall)
>
> its the usual one in almost all clients when you choose 'PEAP'
>
> Cisco went ahead to 'fix' things and, using GTC as the inner method helped
> push for the adoption of PEAPv1 (probably because of the LEAP issues....)
>
> the 2 are different beasts and almost everyone will only ever need
> PEAPv0 - PEAPv1 is a very rare beast..rarer than PEAPv2 ;-)
>
> if you really want to know the differences the RFCs are free to read...
> some people spend their evenings reading such things...i personally
> dont find them that thrilling ;-)

Good summary about the different versions. I think part of the problem
is there is no PEAP RFC. There are a number of internet-drafts, but none
made it to RFC. For example:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kamath-pppext-peapv0-00

and these 10 drafts that go up to version 2:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-josefsson-pppext-eap-tls-eap

Microsoft seems to maintain PEAP these days:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc238354%28v=prot.13%29.aspx

This PEAP document is frequently updated and has text about version
negotiation but uses 0 for its own version.

In summary: there are multiple documents with different versions, but
version 0 seems to work the best among all implementations. Especially
Macs do not like version 1.

Heikki

--
Heikki Vatiainen <h...@open.com.au>