Hello Michael -

This sounds like Cisco VPDN tunnelling.

This example is from the standard “users” file in the Radiator distribution:

# This example shows how to configure a Cisco VPDN circuit:
open.com.au     User-Password=cisco, Service-Type=Outbound-User
        cisco-avpair = "vpdn:tunnel-id=cca-gw",
        cisco-avpair = "vpdn:ip-addresses=1.2.3.4",
        cisco-avpair = "vpdn:nas-password=pw",
        cisco-avpair = "vpdn:gw-password=pw”

regards

Hugh

On 7 Nov 2013, at 04:56, Michael <ri...@vianet.ca> wrote:

> Has anyone ever seen a situation where, for every authentication attempt
> to a radiator system from a cisco device, there is an authentication
> attempt right before it that appears to be:
>
> - a domain (the username with the 'username@' part stripped off).
> - plain text password is always 'cisco'.
> - Service-Type = Outbound-User
>
> if I remove this line from the cisco lns:
> aaa authorization network TEST group TEST
> ...the extra auth attempts stop, but then my radius network static
> profiles don't work, so it's not a solution but it narrows down the problem.
>
> my auth requests for the radiator system are essentially doubled due to
> this.  This only started happening recently.  Network guys sometimes are
> like a ticking time bomb and asking them can cause an explosion so i
> thought i would ask here.
>

> Mike

Hugh Irvine
h...@open.com.au

DIAMETER etc.
Full source on Unix, Windows, MacOSX, Solaris, VMS, NetWare etc.