This entire imbroglio is funny as hell.  Count me as an enemy of Google
henceforth, although I have become  more-and-more disillusioned with
the company primarily because of its highly  politicized and odiously
Politically Correct art and visual imagery  more generally. Google
is a nest of Cultural Marxists and the  place is due for wholesale
house cleaning, kicking out everyone  responsible for what Google
has become compared to what it once was.  Upper management
doesn't know what in hell it is  doing.

As bad as AOL is, which is very bad, Google  has the distinction
of being even worse.

What is good about Google, like what is  good about AOL, is the result
of legacy features it still offers  customers.

Google needs a major disaster like the  current controversy
may well turn out to be, so that it becomes  necessary for the company to
restructure its entire corporate  culture.

Google can go to hell as far as I am  concerned and, it now seems clear,
this sentiment is widely shared by  multitudes in the cyber community.

Billy

Considering this meek and mild but  fairly objective article for deletion???
WTH?

Google memo

>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#mw-head)
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#p-search)

     This article is being considered for deletion in  accordance with
Wikipedia's _deletion policy_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deletion_policy) .
Please share your thoughts on the matter at _this  article's entry_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Google_memo)  on

the _Articles for deletion_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion)  page.
Feel free to edit the  article, but the article must not be blanked, and
this notice must not be removed, until the discussion  is closed. For more
information, particularly on merging or moving the  article during the
discussion, read the _guide to deletion_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Guide_to_deletion) .
"Google's  Ideological Echo Chamber" was an internal memo written in August
2017 by  American-based _Google_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google)
engineer James Damore on the company's  ideological _stance toward diversity_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workplace_diversity) . The memo focused on
Google allegedly shutting down  the conversation about diversity_[1]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-1) , and  suggested that
_gender inequality_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_inequality)  in  the
_technology industry_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_industry)  was
"in  part" due to biological differences between men and women._[2]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-motherboard1-2)  Google
CEO
_Sundar Pichai_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundar_Pichai)  responded by
saying that the memo  "advanc[ed] harmful gender stereotypes", and on August 7
Damore was fired for  violating the company's _code of conduct_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_conduct) ._[3]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-3)
The memo and  subsequent dismissal provoked a strong reaction from
commentators on both sides.  Initially shared on an internal_mailing list_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_mailing_list) , the paper was leaked
to the
public via the _Vice Media_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vice_Media)
owned  website Motherboard.tv resulting in heated controversy across  social
media._[2]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-motherboard1-2) _[4]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-motherboard2-4)  The
company has formally expressed they  don't support the document and
several current and former employees were highly  critical of it. According
to Wired, Google's internal forums  showed "plenty of support" for
Damore_[5]_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-Wired-5)  who
said he
received private thanks  from employees who were afraid to come
forward._[6]_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-6) _[7]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-nytimes-7)
The memo provided an initial summary with the  following points:
    *   Google's  political bias has equated the freedom from offense with
psychological safety,  but shaming into silence is the antithesis of
psychological  safety.
    *   This  silencing has created an ideological echo chamber where some
ideas are too  sacred to be honestly discussed.
    *   The lack of  discussion fosters the most extreme and authoritarian
elements of this  ideology.
    *   Extreme:  all disparities in representation are due to oppression
    *   Authoritarian: we should discriminate to correct  for this
oppression
    *   Differences  in distributions of traits between men and women may
in part explain why we  don't have 50% representation of women in tech and
leadership.
    *   Discrimination to reach equal representation is  unfair, divisive,
and bad for business.
Reactions
Google
Google's Vice President of Diversity & Governance,  Danielle Brown,
responded formally to the memo on August 8, 2017 and stated:  "Part of building
an
open, inclusive environment means fostering a culture in  which those with
alternative views, including different political views, feel  safe sharing
their opinions. But that discourse needs to work alongside the  principles of
equal employment found in our Code of Conduct, policies, and
anti-discrimination laws"._[4]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-motherboard2-4)  Google's
CEO _Sundar Pichai_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundar_Pichai)  in a  note to Google employees
stated, "To suggest a group of
our colleagues have  traits that make them less biologically suited to that
work is offensive and not  OK . . . At the same time, there are co-workers who
are questioning whether they  can safely express their views in the
workplace (especially those with a  minority viewpoint). They too feel under
threat, and that is also not OK"._[8]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-8)
Damore was fired by Google on August 7_[9]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-9)  and same day he filed
a complaint  with _National
Labor Relations Board_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Labor_Relations_Board) ._[10]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-10)
_[11]_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-11)
Others
The _BBC_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC)  reported conflicting
scientific  opinions of the memo with Geoffrey Miller, a professor in
evolutionary
psychology at the University of New Mexico, stating that Mr Damore got
"most of  the science right" and showed "pretty good judgment about what we
know
and what  we don't know". Equally, Gina Rippon, the chair of cognitive
brain imaging at  Aston University in Birmingham, England, disagreed. She told
the BBC: "The key  thing for me is that he's got quite a lot of the science
wrong._[12]_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-12)
An opinion writer, Cathy Young in _USA Today_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Today)  argued  that the memo "had legit
points on gender" but that it
probably overstates  things, while Google's reaction to the memo was
harmful since it "lend credence  to complaints in the modern workplace, [that]
men
are the beleaguered sex. _[13]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-13)
David P. Schmitt, a personality psychologist writing  for _Psychology
Today_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology_Today)  argued  both that
"claiming that sex differences exist in negative emotionality is not  an
'incorrect assumption about gender.' It is an empirically well-supported
claim," and
that equally such differences were "unlikely to be all that relevant  to
the Google workplace."_[14]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-14)
Several management and employment law experts noted  that while Damore
could challenge his firing in court, his potential case would  be weak and
Google would have several defensible reasons for firing him; the
discriminatory
content of his memo could be cited as evidence of a "hostile work
environment" in sexual harassment lawsuits against Google, and that Damore
would  be
unable to fairly assess or supervise the work of female colleagues._[15]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-CNBCLaw-15)
In an opinion article for _The  Guardian_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian) , science journalist _Angela
Saini_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Saini)  wrote  that the memo reflected
common misconceptions about
the _biological differences between men and  women_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_humans) , and demonstrated a
flawed
understanding of the research it cited._[16]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-16) _[17]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-vox-17)
In his _tweets_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter)  _Julian Assange_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange)  of _WikiLeaks_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiLeaks)  said he  wanted to offer Damore a
job and wrote
that "censorship is for losers" and  "Women & men deserve respect. That
includes not firing them for politely  expressing ideas but rather arguing
back"._[18]_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-18)  _Megan
Smith_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megan_Smith) , a former Google vice
president, said Damore's views  were common in Silicon Valley and
"insidious"._[7]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-nytimes-7)
Christina Cauterucci of _Slate Magazine_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slate_Magazine)  draws parallels of arguments
from the  memo with these of
_men's rights activists_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men's_rights_activist)
._[19]_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_memo#cite_note-19)

Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community
<RadicalCentrism@googlegroups.com>
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/RadicalCentrism
Radical Centrism website and blog: http://RadicalCentrism.org

---
"Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community" group.
to radicalcentrism+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.