https://ihack.us/2019/03/11/book-review-quantum-philosophy-and-the-end-of-education-by-roo-pavan/

Book Review: Quantum Philosophy and the End of Education
Quantum Philosophy and the End of Education, by Roo Pavan (self-published)

April 1st, 2019

This self-published book by a retired physicist turned tech millionaire has
taken the education establishment by storm — and not in a good way. Few people
had even heard of this book or its author, Roo Pavan, until President Trump
mentioned it approvingly in a tweet. It is doubtful whether our Esteemed Leader
actually read the book, but that didn’t stop him from claiming he would use it
as the blueprint for education policy in his second term. Like most of the
book’s critics, he probably only read the sensationalist claims in the final
chapter rather than the surprisingly thoughtful analysis that preceded it.

Which is a shame, because that would have been a conversation worth having. The
author’s main thesis is contrarian but hardly new: that Western philosophy in
general — and higher education in particular — are more about perpetuating a
cultural elite than actually pursuing truth and serving society, though he
concedes that those have often been a useful byproduct.

His main innovation is cloaking this critique in a veneer of scientific
respectability. Pavan’s basic premise is that Aristotle and the early Greeks
started with a flawed view of nature (especially human nature) as composed of
essential substances rather than complicated relationships. This unsurprisingly
led aristocratic citizen-philosophers to assume they were intrinsically made of
nobler substance than the women, children and slaves they ruled over. They
justified this claim on the basis of their superior ability to engage in
rational debate and reflective decision making.

To his credit, Pavan concedes this claim is party true, but still argues it is
fundamentally flawed. He compares it to Newtonian physics, whose controversial
claim of “instantaneous action at a distance” eventually turned out to be
false, but was still close enough to be useful in many contexts.

That is the basis of his call for a “quantum philosophy” that reinterprets and
challenges classical philosophy the way quantum physics challenged Newtonian
mechanics a century ago. His thesis is that we need to start from the view that
nature — especially human nature — is fundamentally relational and contextual,
and leverage this insight to rethink all our cultural assumptions and the
institutions built upon them.

If he had stopped there, he probably would have been on safe ground. His
provides a plausible (albeit selective) reading of cultural history, and one
worthy of intellectual debate. Then again, context-free intellectual debate is
precisely the sin he accuses classical philosophy of condoning, so it is not
surprising he chooses to go on the attack. And to be fair, that is probably the
only reason anyone is paying attention to him at all.

He argues that Aristotle’s original hierarchy of city > village > family was
precisely backwards. He makes a surprisingly persuasive case that personal and
social well-being is driven far more by healthy families rather than economic
or academic achievement. From there, echoing The Case Against Education, he
claims the main benefit of schooling for underprivileged individuals is
providing them a surrogate family that redefines their relationships and value.

What is shocking (and the direct cause of the present controversy) is that he
then proceeds to attack this benefit as a bad outcome. He claims that this is
actually a tool of the elite for recruiting and subverting the brightest
members of oppressed populations, by impressing upon them the “innate
superiority and worthiness” of the dominant culture. His most savage attacks
are directed against humanities departments, which he claims teach learned
helplessness under the guise of self-actualization. He is not much kinder
towards technical or professional disciplines, though, claiming they also
condition people to focus on narrow mastery of received wisdom rather than
larger questions of social good.

Contrary to what many critics claim, he does not actually call for abolishing
universities altogether. His actual proposal, though, is even more radical. He
wants to convert universities into “muni-versities” that function as miniature
cities that structurally embody (rather than just talk about) the values they
are trying to promote. These bear a striking resemblance to the self-contained
medieval monasteries that preceded universities, with two key differences.

First, membership is primarily composed of families rather than individuals. He
believes the “end of education” (an evocative, but probably unfortunate phrase)
should actually be to elevate whole communities, and that the best (and only)
way to do that is by reinforcing existing relationships rather than extracting
people away from them.

Second, he appears to substitute worship of Data for worship of God. Each
muni-versity is monitored by a secular priesthood he dubs the “metricians,” who
have no power other than to collect and publish data about the precise goals of
each Service (a cross between a municipal function and an academic department)
and how effectively and efficiently they are being fulfilled.

Critics have had a field day listing all the ways this utopian vision could go
horribly, horribly wrong; and their concerns are well-founded. On the other
hand, the author deserves credit for at least trying to design a solution to
the very real problems he has identified. Public trust in our institutions is
at an all-time low. We spend far more on education than we ever did, yet our
society is more fragmented and unequal than when we started.

Doing more of what we’ve always done seems unlikely to improve the situation.
Maybe it is time to at least consider doing something different…

Sent from my iPhone

Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community
<RadicalCentrism@googlegroups.com>
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/RadicalCentrism
Radical Centrism website and blog: http://RadicalCentrism.org

---
"Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community" group.
to radicalcentrism+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.