The Virtue of Nationalism, etc.

C-Span just broadcast a lecture by Israeli thinker Yoram Hazony during which he
discussed

his new book, The Virtue of Nationalism. Although the text is global in
perspective

a great deal of attention is given to the United States  -as might be expected
from

someone who graduated from Princeton and studied at Rutgers. His English is

flawless "American."

Among the highlights of the talk:

  *   Nations need cohesion to survive and this necessarily means, above all
else,

a common religious tradition to provide not only a common frame of reference

but cherished traditions, a source of vital virtues and values, and cultural
pride.

  *   Cohesion means "what holds society together,"

  *   Libertarianism is everywhere and is pulling American society apart

with its every-man-for-himself ego-centered worldview and values.

  *   The young are not waiting for anything and are moving in their own
direction

and will be lost for good unless there is a sea change in American culture.

As things are now, a significant sector of the young who would ordinarily

become 'good conservatives' are veering into White Identity Politics

which, in Europe, means white nationalism.

  *   American education is an unalloyed mess and conservatives are clueless
about

what to do about it. Hazony said that one essential remedy is to make study

of the Bible a major part of US education.

Mostly, at least to judge from what I heard, I agree with  him.  However, he
made

some assumptions that are unwarranted.

Yes, for sure, teach the Bible in the schools  -at all levels, maybe not
Kindergarten

but some point in grade school onward   -and into college.  But I certainly do
NOT

mean treating the Bible as a devotional text whose every word is true and
unarguable.

People are free to take a devotional view of the Bible in a religious context,
of course,

but that simply will not fly in public education.  In any case the Bible is not
flawless

and free from all mistakes, a view that I regard as indefensible.

Besides, what makes the Bible interesting isn't how fervently someone may pray,

but the numerous mysteries it contains, including historical mysteries like

who wrote it, why some books in the OT are based on ancient non-monotheistic

religious values and beliefs, why the writers had the beliefs they did and how

Hebrew/Jewish beliefs changed over time, what the relationship of the Bible

is to other classical books like the writings of Plato or Plutarch, and so
forth.

---------------

That is, it is essential to forget nearly all the assumptions you may
habitually make

about what the Bible is and what it means. To understand the Bible as its
authors intended

you simply cannot bring denominational biases to the project, and you certainly
cannot

take pop culture views about the book seriously. That is, "Hollywood theology"
is

worthless, secular culture views are worthless,  TV views are worthless, and so
forth.

But very few people can make these kinds of distinctions.  Most people assume
what

the culture says on the subject, not even aware that they have been conditioned

by a Leftist worldview   -now inculcated in education up and down the line

and broadcast into everyone's heads by the ubiquitous mass media.

Worse, as one questioner said from the floor during Q & A, many conservatives

take the view once expressed by Irving Kristol, that the culture war is 'over'

and the Right lost and now only focuses on making money.

Guess what?  I do not think that the real Culture War has even begun  -because

until and unless I am able to express my views in a meaningful public forum

all the important questions and observations to make will still be unexpressed

and everyone will remain ignorant.

Feel free to re-read these words, they are exactly what I wanted to say.

Basically, the Right is, as said only hours ago, incompetent and uninformed.

Like George Gilder, who was one of the people who asked questions from the
floor,

who provided a mish-mash  of  erroneous 'information' while trying

to make an invalid point.

Like it or not, with no respect for the fact that hardly anyone these days

has any idea of what religion is really all about, ahead of us is a new

"War of Religions." Hopefully this will be a war of ideas and not

another conflict like the wars of religion in the post-Reformation era

in Europe, but there will be a war. And if you are basically uninformed

about religion you will be like a regiment thrown into battle with

no weapons. You will be exposed and unable to defend yourself.

Basically you will look like an idiot.

Sorry if you invested close to 100% of your time in school studying Marx

or Adam Smith,  but that kind of education is rapidly becoming obsolete.

And there isn't any kind of quick fix for the problem.  Which is why most

of the people who I would like to work with in the future have serious

knowledge of religion, the product of years of study.

This does not mean years of prayer. Mother Jones is best known for her quote:
"Pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living."  The magazine, in
totally

misconstruing Mother Jones, forgets all about the prayer part.  Evangelical
pietists

if they were ever to cite Mother Jones,  could be depended on to spend no time

at all on the "fight" dimension.  My view is that prayer is the smallest part
of religion

and that faith is primarily about fighting for what it right, fighting for
truth,

and fighting against evil.

"Pietism" is used here to refer to intense devotionalism as found among most
Evangelicals

but also some Baptists and which is pronounced among Pentecostals.
Functionally it is

about the same thing as bhakti yoga among Hindus, extreme mysticism among
Catholics

and so forth, even Hassidic Jews with their own version. Among Evangelicals,
etc,

it often features a nearly literal "love affair" with Jesus in which hours
every day

are spent in prayer.   That is, it is self absorption taken to extreme   -and
it also is

pretty much the opposite of my faith.  Which is?   Pretty much like that of

Albert Schweitzer, mostly action of some kind, mostly lifelong learning,

and a good deal of time in study of non-Christian faiths that are, or so

it is easy to conclude, compatible with Christianity.

I have among my pending projects, one about Alexander Hamilton and his

view that America is  -or should be-  a Christian nation.  I realized before
getting very far

with this project that it was important to spell out what was meant by
"Christian."

Because my view, despite various similarities,  is very different than that

of Evangelicals generally and vastly different than that of Pentecostals.

In a way it has Catholic features except that my theology is on a different

planet than that of most Catholics. But mostly it is Baptist in character,

another word that I use radically unlike how most people use the term.

Think of Roger Williams, father not only of the Baptist persuasion in America

but also the father or freedom of religion.  Also think of  Harvey Cox, the

Harvard theologian,  Ray Bradbury, Gene Roddenberry, Justice Hugo Black,

the "originalist" Constitutionalist, and very pragmatic Harry S Truman.

Forget most other "name" Baptists. But here are some living Baptists you

may have heard of, like Lindsey Graham, Bill Moyers, and Albert Mohler

Can't say that I am "like" any of them but there are commonalities.

As there even is with the late  Chuck Colson, at least in his book,

Born Again. Can't say that I am "coming from" that POV in any

orthodox way, but no-one is Baptist in any sense who doesn't

"get" what Colson said in its pages.

Baptists often have a ribald sense of humor; and they usually like Country
music.

I also like Country music (along with Bach and Sibelius)  but limit my "liking"

to sexy women who sing Country songs.  Mostly the men Country singers

can take a hike. But they will understand since most of them are Baptists, too,

and share my attitude toward the opposite sex.

Hey, Baptists are not prudes, or most of them aren't even if there are some

who are and who give Baptists a bad name. Got all of this? Now let's move on.

In any case,  I agree whole heartedly with Yoram Hazony that you cannot
understand most of

American history unless you realize that, at least since ca. 1800 (not 1776),
continuing to the

Eisenhower era, even, somewhat, as late as the 1980s,  America has clearly been
Christian nation.  And the Bible has been central to exactly this, all along.

The New Christianity is intended to make that happen again  -but not the way
that

most Evangelicals might assume when they hear the phrase.  In my view the era of

Evangelical dominance in Protestant Christianity is over, or is well along
toward

being over. It in all probability will continue to play a major part in
American culture

and that is fine with me, but there will be a new challenge.

This is about action in the here and now, it is not about  ten year plans or
other excuses

not to do anything.  As much in the here and now as possible, anyway.

It is about restoring helpful traditions that have been nearly destroyed by
Cultural Marxists

and Atheist libertarians and gender feminists and others who hate America and

love Islam and love sexual perversity and love irrationality in the arts and

love every cultural sickness that comes down the pike.

And it is about creating a future that we can be proud of as Americans and

if others doesn't like it they can go to hell.

It is about spirituality that means something.  If there is one book
-shortcomings

or not-   that more-or-less captures the essence of this, it is a 1992 volume
by Ernest Kurtz

and Katherine Ketcham, The Spirituality of Imperfection.  That is, don't look
for

perfection, it does not exist in the real world.  People will need to settle for

doing the best we can.

Billy R.

Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community
<RadicalCentrism@googlegroups.com>
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/RadicalCentrism
Radical Centrism website and blog: http://RadicalCentrism.org

---
"Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community" group.
to radicalcentrism+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.