Not sure how much more "proof" anyone wants that we need a new religious
movement

in America. It must be new, it must speak directly to the serious critique of
religion

on the part of the young, Gen Xers and millennials, plus everyone who is older
who

has been saying something similar for many years.

It must be new also because of the incompetence of the Religious Right, and the
more

to the "Right" we are talking about, the more incompetent, the more uninformed,

and the more oblivious to the critique of the young.

Does anyone in their right mind really believe that doubling down on prayer is
the answer

to anything except maybe personal doubts or questions?  Speaking of society and

the culture, the "game is over" for traditional Christianity  -not everywhere
but all

over the map, in every region of the country.

Politically there is one last big chance; in 2020 the largest voting
demographic will be

seniors, an estimated 23% of all voters that year, viz, next year.

Culturally the time to maneuver is open to debate, but probably a matter of
several years

even if ,  about such things, time horizons are collapsing wherever you look.
In any case,

there is no time to lose.

10 year plans have always been a joke, any such idea, now, is a complete
travesty.

Someone's got to do something. As imperfect as I am, as much of a miserable
sinner

as I may be, to paraphrase Luther, at least I'm willing to give it a serious
try. OK, tell me

the name of anyone else who has the necessary knowledge who is willing to try?

Anyone at all.  Not more of the same but more snazzy, rather, radically new.

Christian, but radically new  -with a real chance to capture the imagination.

By definition it cannot come from Evangelicals or Pentecostals and it has

long ceased to be even a remote possibility for the "liberal" denominations.

This is rhetorical. Nobody here can hear a word I'm saying, it is clear enough.

But for the record.....

Billy

The Daily Wire
God Help Us: Atheism Becomes Largest Religion In U.S.
As religiosity has declined, social ills have abounded.

By Michael J. Knowles <https://www.dailywire.com/authors/michael-j.-knowles>
@michaeljknowles <https://twitter.com/michaeljknowles>
April 7, 2019

For the first time in history, atheists constitute the largest religious group
in America. According to the General Social Survey, the number of Americans who
have no religion has increased 266% over the past three decades and now account
for 23.1% of the population, just barely edging out Catholics and Evangelicals
as the nation’s dominant faith. Mainline Protestant churches have suffered the
greatest collapse, declining 62.5% since 1982 and now comprising just 10.8% of
the U.S. population.

As religiosity has declined, social ills have abounded. Nearly one in five
American adults suffers from anxiety disorders, which now constitute the most
common mental illness in the country. One in six Americans takes antidepressant
drugs, a 65% surge over just 15 years. The problem is particularly acute among
younger Americans. While depression diagnoses have increased 33% since 2013,
that number is up 47% among Millennials and 63% among teenagers.
Coincidentally, suicide rates among American teenagers have increased by 70%
since 2006. American life expectancy declined again last year, as Americans
continue to drug and kill themselves at record rates.

Social scientists have long since established the link between religiosity and
life satisfaction. As social psychologist Sonja Lyubomirsky
observes<https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/how-happiness/200806/happiness-and-religion-happiness-religion>,
 people who attend religious services several times each week are nearly twice
as likely as those who worship less than once a month to describe themselves as
“very happy.” Such psychologists simply state the obvious: the belief that God
loves you and that you will live with him in eternity offers greater
consolation than the view of death as a dirt nap that stiffens you into worm
food.

Religious people are also significantly more likely to engage in happy-making
behaviors, such as getting and staying married. A study
released<https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/8xvx8a/marriage-makes-people-happier-new-study-finds>
 in 2017 affirmed what countless others had already shown: married couples
report higher life satisfaction than their single, divorced, and widowed
neighbors. That satisfaction tends to last beyond the honeymoon and well into
old age.

The misery epidemic threatens not merely American households but also our halls
of power. The late Andrew Breitbart observed that politics is downstream of
culture, and culture in turn is downstream of religion. “Cult” and “culture”
are etymologically related, and a culture is defined by what it worships. A
materialistic culture worships wealth; a licentious culture worships sex; a
godly culture worships God. But “our Constitution was made for a moral and
religious people,” as John Adams wrote to the Massachusetts militia in 1798.
“It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

A miserable politics awaits us when the irreligious rot flows downstream. Who
but God can help us now?

Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community
<RadicalCentrism@googlegroups.com>
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/RadicalCentrism
Radical Centrism website and blog: http://RadicalCentrism.org

---
"Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community" group.
to radicalcentrism+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.