Mark Zemelman: Working at Kaiser Permanente, a Place with a Social Mission
https://medium.com/@davidovich/mark-zemelman-working-at-kaiser-permanente-a-place-with-a-social-mission-eea9fef9af07
(via Instapaper)

Mark Zemelman: At Kaiser Permanente, a Place with a Social Mission

davidovich
Dec 10 · 12 min read
This is part II of our profile of Mark Zemelman. Part I: Mark Zemelman: A
Mission-Driven Career — covers Mark’s education at UC Santa Cruz and his early
efforts as a lawyer working for social justice, civil rights and environmental
protection.

Mark’s initial experience working for Kaiser Permanente was as outside counsel.
Then, he says, “In 1991, when I decided to go in-house, I had a number of
clients that I could have called, but I only called Kaiser Permanente.”

In a sense, he was returning to a place he already knew. Mark’s father had been
an early Kaiser Permanente doctor; Mark was even born in a Kaiser Permanente
hospital. He says, “It was a place that I knew well, respected, and it felt to
me that it had a purpose. I was looking for a long-term career with a place
that had a social mission.”

Mark Zemelman, Senior Vice President and General Counsel, Kaiser Foundation
Health Plan, Inc. and Kaiser Foundation Hospitals. Used with the permission of
Kaiser Permanente Heritage Resources.
There was no open legal job at Kaiser Permanente, but, Mark explains: “I called
them up and said to the general counsel, ‘You know, it will be a lot cheaper if
you bring me in than to pay me on the outside,’ and literally a week later,
they created a job.” It certainly wasn’t for the money, he explains: “I took a
pay cut of 30% to go to Kaiser Permanente. There’s no question I could have
made a lot more money working elsewhere.”

But it was a choice for the long term, a choice that was true to his ambition
to make a difference, inspired and nurtured during his time at UC Santa Cruz.
Mark says, “When I was at UC Santa Cruz, what I loved about it was that it was
packed to the brim with people who wanted to make the world a better place. And
it really didn’t matter which field you were in. Whether it was chemistry, or
environmental, or history — whatever — it was simply this ethos, that we were
all here to make the world a better place.”

“When I was at UC Santa Cruz, what I loved about it was that it was packed to
the brim with people who wanted to make the world a better place.”

He reflects on those years: “The joy of UC Santa Cruz was that it really was a
‘City on a Hill,’ an opportunity to stand back and figure out what was
important. You would stand at the top of the hill at Crown College, and the fog
would roll in and you couldn’t see the town of Santa Cruz, and you literally
seemed to be in a little city above the clouds — it was magical. It was
remarkable to have a few years to be able to think about, ‘How do we make the
world a better place?’ And to have a group of professors who were interested in
that, and a whole lot of students who were interested in that.”

Crown College, UC Santa Cruz. Photo by sspfeifer.
It’s a powerful testimony to the ethics and values that flourish at UC Santa
Cruz to this day.

Now employed at Kaiser Permanente, Zemelman had one last adjustment to make in
his career development. “I came in as an environmental lawyer and then realized
that in a hospital system — in a health care system — being the environmental
lawyer is being the guy ‘behind the elephant,’” he chuckles. “It’s necessary
work, but it’s nothing that anybody wants to talk about. They just want you to
take care of it.”

“In a health care system, being the environmental lawyer is being the guy
‘behind the elephant.’ It’s necessary work, but it’s nothing that anybody wants
to talk about. They just want you to take care of it.”

Mark nonetheless applied himself to his environmental work and established his
credibility; then, “After a couple of years, I said to the general counsel,
‘Would you mind if I became a healthcare lawyer?’ He allowed me to hire someone
else to come in and handle the environmental work, and I began doing healthcare
transactions.”

With that last shift, once again Mark’s humanities training at UC Santa Cruz
came to the fore and helped unite his diverse social and political interests
into a focused new role: “Having studied history is helpful when you are a
lawyer,” he asserts. “It’s particularly helpful when you are a part of an
organization that has a mission. That mission is built into old historical IRS
(Internal Revenue Service) documents that are as valid today as they were when
they were written.”

““Having studied history is helpful when you are a lawyer. It’s particularly
helpful when you are a part of an organization that has a mission. That mission
is built into old historical IRS documents that are as valid today as they were
when they were written.”

We then settle in for Mark’s fascinating and well-rehearsed narrative on the
history of this immense and influential organization — which provides health
care to more than 12 million people — from the point of view not only of a
lawyer, but a trained historian.

The True Origins of Prepaid, Group Practice Medical Care in America

He begins by setting the record straight on the origins of the organization,
which have been lost somewhat in legend. He says, “When I came into Kaiser
Permanente, the mythology was that Sidney R. Garfield, M.D., and Henry J.
Kaiser invented the concept of ‘prepaid, group practice medicine’; that is, the
health maintenance organization, or HMO. That Dr. Garfield’s hospital in the
California desert, providing medical care to workers on the Colorado River
aqueduct, was successful in innovative ways.”

It really didn’t happen that way; rather, “The truth is that Kaiser Permanente
was part of a movement that arose out of a social need: the fact that most
people could not afford decent healthcare.”

Now, Zemelman brings all the aspects and experiences of his studies and his
career together in a unified summary: “We here at Kaiser Permanente are part of
a movement, very similar to the civil rights movement. It’s a movement that
started in the 1800s, when few people could afford healthcare, and groups of
people — many different groups of people — began trying to figure out how to
make healthcare affordable.”

“We here at Kaiser Permanente are part of a movement, very similar to the civil
rights movement. It’s a movement that started in the 1800s, when … many
different groups of people began trying to figure out how to make healthcare
affordable.”

A Comprehensive Plan for Medical Care … From 1932

To set the context, Zemelman takes us back to the late nineteenth century,
before healthcare insurance companies had been formed, and most people found it
difficult to afford physician and hospital care.

“The groups tackling this problem realized that, first: if you just pay doctors
on a fee-for-service basis, most people won’t be able to afford care at the
time they need the care. You need to set up some form of prepayment. Immigrant
groups, and some large companies, began to put physicians on salary to provide
care for all of their members or employees. In this way, salary is a form of
prepayment.

“If you just pay doctors on a fee-for-service basis, most people won’t be able
to afford care at the time they need the care. You need to set up some form of
prepayment.”

“Second, some physicians realized that high-quality medical practice doesn’t
happen when doctors work alone; they work much better in groups. So you get
group practices developing — on one side with the Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland
Clinic, and on the other side with the Grange, cooperatives, and immigrant
communities developing systems such as the French Hospital system in San
Francisco, where they created a prepaid financing and hospitalization plan.” He
adds that Kaiser Permanente bought French Hospital in the 1990s, and
grandfathered the members of that plan into Kaiser Permanente.

Zemelman expands his story of this often misunderstood legacy, and continues
his narrative: “The conceptual model for the HMO comes from the 1920s, when
providing adequate and affordable health care became a major concern for
economists and business leaders — so much so that a national commission was
formed to perform a lengthy study of the U.S. medical industry.” The
commission, known as the Committee on the Costs of Medical Care, was chaired by
Dr. Ray Lyman Wilbur, the president of Stanford University, founder of the
Stanford School of Business and former president of the American Medical
Association (AMA), who together with a team of the top four dozen health
experts in the country explored ways to make American health care better and
more affordable. Over five years, they issued a series of reports that deeply
examined many aspects of medical care in the U.S.

Ray Lyman Wilbur, President of Stanford University, former president of the
American Medical Association (AMA), and chairman of the commission that created
the series of reports on Medical Care for the American People.
In 1932, the commission issued a final report, called Medical Care for the
American People. Mark reaches back, points behind him and says, “I’m the only
person I know who has a copy — on that shelf over there. It took me ages to
find it.”

And he explains, “That report explained that everything about our health care
system is wrong! It all has to be changed. The health care system needs to move
away from individual physician offices to group practice, it needs to move away
from fee-for-service to pre-payment, it needs to emphasize preventive care, and
it needs to move to coordination among facilities.’”

“That report explained that everything about our health care system is wrong!
It all has to be changed.”

The consequences of the study won’t come as a shock to anyone who is familiar
with our current heath care challenges. Mark says, “The [President Franklin D.]
Roosevelt administration attempted to incorporate the concepts of that report
into a health care program for the United States as part of the new Social
Security system.”

Oregon Governor Charles Sprague, Henry J. Kaiser, Edgar F. Kaiser (son), and
President Franklin D. Roosevelt at the Kaiser Oregon shipyard, St. Johns,
Oregon, September 23, 1942, for the launching of the Liberty-class S.S. Joseph
N. Teal — a ship built in only 10 days. Used with the permission of Kaiser
Permanente Heritage Resources.
But the efforts were opposed by the American Medical Association, the most
powerful medical lobby in the country at the time, which advocated for single
(or small group) physician practice, and “fee-for-service” (such that patients
pay for each instance of treatment.) And that rejection contributed to the
decades-long delay in creating a healthcare system that: is designed to keep
people healthy, instead of just providing care when people are sick; and
comprehensive in its coverage, high-quality, and affordable.

Mark says, “So, by the time Dr. Garfield goes into practice, the Costs of
Medical Care Committee’s Report already is out, and the basic concepts of
prepaid group practice medicine are in active discussion at a national level.
In fact, the first secular prepaid group practice model akin to Kaiser
Permanente had started in Los Angeles in 1929: The Ross-Loos system, which
served the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. It wasn’t located that
far from where Dr. Garfield was working on the aqueduct.”

Mark then further expands on the story with rich historical detail — which he
recites without notes (much like Prof. William Hitchcock lecturing on the
Greeks and Romans at Crown College in the 1970s).

He continues, “The other point is that, in terms of experiencing prepaid group
practice, Sid didn’t start at the aqueduct; the experience really began with a
group of physicians coming together in their residencies at Los Angeles County
General Hospital. When Dr. Garfield came out of school, he went to L.A. General
to do his internship and residency. In those days, L.A. General was a
progressive experiment. At the time, it was a new, 800-bed building and highly
subsidized by the County of Los Angeles, so that everyday people could get
hospital care. So, here is a group of young doctors, and they are on salary.
They don’t have to be paid by the patients at the time they are providing
treatment. In effect, these young doctors are engaged in prepaid group practice
medicine. It’s after that that Sid goes out to the aqueduct; he had already
experienced the model.”

So the prepaid group practice model was already established conceptually and
practically; it worked for the patients, and it was satisfying to these young
physicians. At the Grand Coulee dam construction site, and then in World War II
at Kaiser’s shipyards, Dr. Garfield — financed by Kaiser — brought his friends
from L.A. General into an industrial form of prepaid group practice.

Mark summarizes, “The conceptualization of it had already been done by the
President of Stanford; the experience of working as a group of salaried
physicians had already occurred. Ross-Loos was already in existence. But
prepaid group practice medicine hadn’t been done on a massive, industrial
scale. When Henry J. Kaiser gets the Liberty Ship contract, now you are
bringing in 200,000 people to work in the shipyards. Suddenly, you have the
largest prepaid, group practice system in the country.”

“When Henry J. Kaiser gets the Liberty Ship contract, now you are bringing in
200,000 people to work in the shipyards. Suddenly, you have the largest
prepaid, group practice system in the country.”

With that, Zemelman sits back to let the story — the real story — and its
significance, sink in. It wasn’t just one innovative doctor and an
industrialist who invented the HMO. It was a movement that had been developed
by immigrants, academics, local governments, idealistic physicians, and
progressive business leaders. They had conceptualized it through years of study
and tried it on a smaller scale, so when they needed to expand it to cover
hundreds of thousands of workers, they knew it would work.

Then, in 1945, at the request of workers now scattering to post-war industries
along the West Coast, Kaiser Permanente opened as a public plan. In addition to
overcoming direct attacks by the traditional medical industry on the new plan,
Kaiser Permanente was a leader in the broader national struggle for affordable,
high-quality care.

The Ongoing Struggle for Affordable, Quality Medical Care

Mark continues, “In the 1960s, Congress created Medicare and Medicaid — the
Kaiser Permanente founders were deeply involved in that. Then there was the
passage of the Health Maintenance Organization Act of 1973. The HMO Act was
written on a desk that looks like this one,” Mark raps on his desk with his
knuckle, “that is upstairs on the 27th floor of this building. My predecessor,
Scott Fleming, went to Washington to help develop the HMO Act. And then you get
to the Affordable Care Act of 2010, which Kaiser Permanente has actively
defended.”

“The HMO Act was written on a desk that looks like this one,” Mark raps on his
desk with his knuckle, “that is upstairs on the 27th floor of this building.”

These are the primary achievements in health legislation in the United States
over the past 75 years.

Nonetheless, the need for Kaiser Permanente’s leadership is greater than ever.
Mark explains, “This year, the total cost of a standard, employer-based,
comprehensive health care plan in the United States for a family of four
exceeded $28,000. The median family income in the United States is $60,000. And
medical inflation is running 5% per year. The system is not affordable or
sustainable. Fee-for-service is still the dominant form of payment of providers
in the nation. The current healthcare system continues to be fractured, not
coordinated like Kaiser Permanente.”

““This year, the total cost of a standard, employer-based, comprehensive health
care plan in the United States for a family of four exceeded $28,000. The
median family income in the United States is $60,000. And medical inflation is
running 5% per year. The system is not affordable or sustainable.”

It’s a grim reality, but understanding how we got here, and why, is essential
if we are to find a comprehensive and meaningful path forward. Zemelman’s
contribution has been not only his legal expertise, but a historian’s
perspective on the past, which has allowed him to open up and explore the
entire story, to help us fully understand and evaluate where we have come from,
and then decide where we want to go.

It’s time for us to leave, so Cari and I thank Zemelman for his time and
remarkable narrative. We walk towards the elevators, once again passing the
extraordinary photographs on the wall — reminders of a time when urgent
necessity, combined with insight, determination and lessons learned over time,
brought together a remarkable group of medical practitioners and business
people who created something new and promising, and which is with us still
today, and continues to serve as America’s largest nonprofit health system.

This profile is the sixth in our series Beyond the Forest, which examines the
lives and careers of UC Santa Cruz grads who have found their unique career
paths using the humanities as their foundation.

Sent from my iPhone

Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community
<RadicalCentrism@googlegroups.com>
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/RadicalCentrism
Radical Centrism website and blog: http://RadicalCentrism.org

---