“Belief happens when we combine community with emotion.“

If true, that may be the most profound insight I have ever encountered.

A paradox of community, belief and reality
https://seths.blog/2020/11/a-paradox-of-community-belief-and-reality/
(via Instapaper)

Belief happens when we combine community with emotion. It’s a way for us to see
and understand the world, at the same time that we engage with some of the
people around us. Belief is a symptom of shared connection, and community makes
us human.

Reality, on the other hand, is widely experienced and consistent. Gravity
doesn’t care if you believe in it or not, it’s still here. And that jar of
jelly beans has the same number of beans in it, no matter how many times we
count them.

When belief doesn’t match our experience of reality, stress occurs.

This stress can surprisingly make community stronger. There’s very little
community among people who believe that the Earth is a sphere, no meetings or
conventions of the round Earth people. That’s because you don’t need belief to
know that the Earth is round.

There is a long history of building community cohesion by encouraging members
to ignore the facts of the world around them.

The disconnect between what’s out there and the emotions that lead us to
believe something that isn’t real can actually make a community tighter.
Sometimes, the disconnect between belief and reality is precisely the point.
When the disconnect gets really large and the community becomes more insulated,
cults arise.

But in our modern age, this stressful disconnect between belief and reality
also makes it difficult to spread the word. The outsider may be hesitant to
sign up for the stress that belief in non-real things can cause.

As more and more information is just a click away, and as our culture fractures
into a long-tail of filter bubbles, the chasms between belief and reality
become more profound. But beliefs change, and reality persists, and so the
cycles continue.

Sent from my iPhone

Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community
<RadicalCentrism@googlegroups.com>
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/RadicalCentrism
Radical Centrism website and blog: http://RadicalCentrism.org

---