I think Staff Picks is now considered an old feature and it is replaced
by BBC App and the other Internet radio Apps which enable users to have
smaller menus.  I think the menu was kept on for compatibility but it is
not being "maintained".

If you really want it updated, I suggest file a bug but I suspect the
menu will be removed at some point as it overlaps with the other World,
Local, genre etc. Internet radio menus.

No URLs are burned in Firmware or included in SS/SC/SBS - Staff Picks
and other internet Radio menus have always come from
Squeezenetwork/MySqueezeBox and so you have always been tied to
Slimdevices/Logitech Server except in the past you did not need to
register.  Use Radiofeeds or your own Favorites if you want to be
independent.

--
bpa