fumanchu314159265;515147 Wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification!  Who has the rights to update the Wiki
> page?  Assuming this is supposed to be current documentation, that
> little tidbit would be very helpful to include.
>
> BTW, I was thrown off by this statement on that page: 'NOTE: Some of
> the diagrams below use "Jive" which was the the old name for the
> SqueezePlay application.'  That implied to me that "Jive" was old
> terminology for "SqueezePlay", but I see that I was not thinking
> straight on that.

If you register you can edit every page yourself in the wiki :)
And now that you say it - squeezeplay is indeed the 'correct' and
better name (directories in SVN are also called this way).

'Jive' is also a synonym for just the Controller:
- its (Controllers) firmware is called 'jive.bin'
- System.getMachine() also returns 'jive' for the controller (but
'squeezeplay' for the desktop version of Squeezeplay - and baby/fab4 for
Radio/Touch. :)

On the other hand there is an 'AboutJive' applet within SqueezePlay
which is the diagnostics screen on all devices :)

So you see - its not really consistent - taken all information together
I'd say:
when the controller started, the name 'jive' was introduced just as its
firmware/name. Everything else back then was a Squeezebox (Classic,
Boom, Receiver). This also explains the image in the wiki.

Later it was renamed to squeezeplay to be more generic - but now it
isn't really consistent.

--
bluegaspode

1x SB-Controller+Receiver (Duet), 1xSB-Boom. 1xSB-Radio
Server (7.4.1) running on SheevaPlug (Ubuntu) with attached Western
Digital MyBook Essential.
Secondary 7.4 Server on Debianized Buffalo Linkstation LS-CHL.