There have been many suggested improvements for podcast support
suggested over the years.  I think a developer started to look into
making some improvements during 7.5, but Touch development took
precedence.

The things I would like to see before I go back to using podcasts in
SBS are:

1. Don't load podcast metadata into music library.
2. New episode/partially played/fully played status indicator.
3. Remember song progress per episode.
4. Audio feedback with fast-forward through podcast episodes.

iTunes/iPods do all of the above.

Number 1 is most important to me, because podcast episodes are
generally very poorly/inconsistently tagged.  Browsing a hierarchy of
Podcasts > Episodes is good, but the items shouldn't appear within
Browse Artists/Albums/Genres/New Music, etc.

Number 4 is important to me, as I have a lot of long episodes (> 4
hours), in which I fast-forward through to skip sections of little
interest.  I don't want to overshoot.  SBS used to support
fast-forward, but was replaced with a visual song positioning mechanism
(which although good, was a reduction of functionality, as there is no
audio feedback).

As a result, I don't bother with Podcasts on SBS/Squeezebox.  I use an
iPod Nano and connect it to the line-in of a Boom, so I get the proper
control/management benefits.

--
Philip Meyer