It's getting painfully obvious that it gets too complex to reliably
include anything that's dependent on the network or a server when
triggering the alarm in the Radio. I'm sure it's possible to do but
probably not within a reasonable time/cost with the limited number of
development resources Logitech has dedicated to the Squeezebox
development.

What do people with alarm problems think of a solution like this ?
- Only focus on functionality to wake you up in the morning, ignore
other use cases for the alarm functionality.
- Only make it possible to set the alarm through the Radio user
interface, no support for setting alarms through MySB web site or
through SBS user interface.
- Only support Radio (no support for Boom or other Squeezebox
products)
- Always play the same file when the alarm is triggered but make it
possible to use your own small mp3 file downloaded to the Radio and
make it possible to configure the volume.
- In the alarm popup make it possible to select to:
-- Snooze
-- Turn off alarm completely
-- Select to turn off the alarm and continue playing one of your
presets/favorites.
-- All the above should have shortcut buttons so you can press a single
button to do the same thing

In a solution like this no network or server is involved until the user
select to play a preset/favorite, this should make it very reliable and
predictable unless I'm missing something obvious.

I realize a solution like this wouldn't be as nice as the current one
where it can wake you with random music, but I've started to realize
that reliability might be better then not being waked up or getting a
hearth attack being waked up by a too loud fallback alarm.

Any thoughts ?
Is there any of the above mentioned functionality that can be remove
because it's not needed ?
Is there any more functionality than the above mentioned that would be
needed to make it usable ?

If bluegaspode, Marc or Ben reads this, would it be reasonable to
implement something like this as a third party applet ?
Would it require SqueezeOS patches and/or server changes to making sure
it works correctly because SqueezeOS or SBS/MySB conflicts with the
concept ?

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) (Install my plugins through
Extension Downloader)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library, Title Switcher and Database
Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))