Thanks to all who posted here to guide me through building the battery
pack.

I ordered the $5.99 connector/thermistor and a 2300 mAh pack from
all-battery.com ($15.99), as suggested, and wired it up.  I soldered
rather than crimped, since I have better luck with that, and I think it
was no more difficult, maybe easier.  I decided not to include the
intermediate taps into the battery.  I slit the plastic wrap around the
battery pack and slid the thermistor down inside so it sits sandwiched
in the middle, but probably doesn't have tight thermal contact with any
of the cells.  I packed some foam around the battery pack so it wouldn't
rattle around in the hard plastic compartment when plugged in.  I
worried at first that this might not allow it to stay cool, but then
again, maybe this is fine - the thermistor should stop the charge
sooner, if anything.

I have lots of experience doing this kind of thing, but it shouldn't be
that hard for a determined builder.  The hardest thing is working with
the small parts and wires.

I have now used it for about 3 weeks and have discharged the pack a
couple times.  I measured 9 to 10 hours of radio operation at mid
volume the first time, and it seemed about the same for subsequent
uses.  So far so good.  I really like being able to move it around,
bring it with me to the backyard campfire and take music requests from
friends for Pandora, etc.

--
edllew