Thanks bluegaspode!

You must actually set an alarm in order to preview it.  This does make
sense and does enable you to preview them quickly.

The procedure:

Settings > Alarm Clock > Add Alarm  At this point you must actually set
an alarm time, which we can later cancel by 'remove alarm'.  Once the
alarm time is set, the screen will return to Alarm 1: 07:00 (at least
this was the default choice which I accepted.  Now do:

Alarm 1: 07:00 > Alarm Sound > Musical Sounds > Barn Fire  Now push the
play button to the right of the main knob.  After previewing this sound
you can push the 'back' button to the left of the main knob twice to
get back to the list of Musical Sounds to make another selection
followed by the play key to hear it.  Pushing the 'back' button three
times instead returns you to the list of all available alarm sounds so
you can continue previewing the possibilities.

The ready made sounds, 'Musical Sounds', etc would likely be more
reliable than picking a 'radio station' which might be off line just
when you need it.

--
Ron Stordahl