muchgooder;572056 Wrote:
> I recently bought my in-laws a SB and I was hoping to allow them to
> access my music collection on my music server. They live in a different
> town and thus are not behind my firewall.
>
> I am currently using orb and (sometimes) tversity to serve music to my
> blackberry.  I have this working but I have a login so that I am not
> serving my collection to the entire Internet.
>
> Can someone verify that I am right about the following:  there is no
> way to allow SB Radio to log in to something like Orb.  The only thing
> that I could do to have any kind of security around this is to
> implement something at the network level (VPN or the like).  Thanks you
> very much in advance.

What I use: my server is running Linux, so I use 'knockd' to listen for
"knocks" and a couple scripts to open things for knockers.

The premise is that one must "knock" on a certain number of specific
ports and knockd will see these and automatically open a firewall for
those ports.

It is easy enough to script these knocks on Linux, and should be port
knocking clients for Windows.  If their IP changes, they just have to
knock again.

If they have a reasonably static IP (where reasonable = "making changes
won't annoy you too much"), you could do without that and just restrict
access by IP.  I would do this at the router instead of relying on
SBS's network restrictions, but I'm paranoid.

That may be the easiest method.

Just open 3483 tcp/udp and 9000 tcp from their IP to your server at the
router.  Will work fine until their IP changes.

--
snarlydwarf