toby10;575887 Wrote:
> Well, you are "selecting" which Sound Effects you want.  Selecting None
> de-selects all of the sound effect categories.
> So you are selecting None.   :)

That would be logical, yes. But what I had in fact done was uncheck,
deselect, all of the options, including the None option. If anyone
wants to replicate this, click None to select it, then click it again
to unselect it. That will select all the other options. But one can
then click on each in turn to deselect it, with the end result that
*nothing* is selected, including None. What that leads to, evidently,
is all the sound effects turned off except the startup and shut down
chimes.

--
MartinP