I think the best explanation is this one (working without SD-card):

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=535114&postcount=3

Some additions as its written there very short:

to copy files over to the Radio, you can use the program 'WinSCP' (you
need to active remote access in the Radios advanced menu before).

To 'ssh' into your Radio you can either use linux or a mac, where this
command works directly from the command line.
If you use Windows I'd suggest to download the program 'putty'. This
one can connect to the Radio and you'll be able to enter the needed
commands.

Oh - and on the iPad Japanese seems to work instantly as can be seen on
this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLgwOEyFBbs
(hope this is japanese)
This video also shows the results on a Touch so this should give you
some motivation :D

--
bluegaspode

Big Screen for great Boxes available now at your AppStore: *'Squeezebox
+ iPad = SqueezePad ' (www.squeezepad.com) *!
Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why
not try my 'Weather Forecast Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73827)
Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my
'Headphone Switcher Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67139)

Setup: 1x SB-Controller+Receiver (Duet), 1xSB-Boom. 2xSB-Radio
Server (7.5.1) running on SheevaPlug (Ubuntu) with attached Western
Digital MyBook Essential.