0xdeadbeef;601063 Wrote:

> There are indeed lots of smaller issues that should be fixable within
> hours if not minutes which leaves the question why this didn't happen
> yet. Even if there was only one underpaid Chinese developer working on
> this, as this is the case for the typical media player, it's kinda
> unexplainable that really close to nothing was improved in more than
> one year.
> The again, I'm still convinced that the whole alarm design is so
> completely ill designed from the core that there is no easy fix
> anymore. I guess too much money was invested in the MYSB server
> infrastructure instead of putting a little thought in a sensible system
> design. And now it's probably too late for the responsibles to admit
> their failure.

Just catching up and checking in after quite a long hiatus...  To
underscore the comments above (and correct the notion that a junior
developer - of any nationality - could fix the alarm problems), the
real problem with alarms is indeed the architecture.  I discussed this
directly and repeatedly back when I fixed them as best as possible in
light of the constraints presented by the alarm architecture (and
certain underlying foundational architectural constraints relied upon
by alarm functionality).

The continuing problems won't be fixed by any junior developer, nor any
senior one unless the architecture is fixed first.  Bluegaspode's
continued work to address/resolve specific users' alarm
failure/malfunction cases is laudable (ahh, your patience continues to
amaze, Stefan :) ) - but the grander issue of why those problems are
not innately addressed by default in the alarm subsystem will never be
resolved.

Which is precisely why I am still running 7.4.2 from back when I
originally made alarms usable, and am no longer tinkering with further
fixes...

Marc

p.s.  I absolutely love the SB Radio as a streaming music player.  For
use as a bedside alarm clock, however, see my opinions/posts from long
back - since none of the realities/views expressed there have changed.

--
Marc