On the Touch I just tried connecting to a neighbor's network, entered a
new password and it failed.  Then I tried connecting to my network
again and it failed again.  It appeared to first try using the password
I had just entered.  After failing the second time it gave me an option
to re-enter a password, which I did and was successful.

It does take a while to timeout, but you should eventually be given the
opportunity to re-enter a password.  If you try it several times and you
don't see a menu option to re-enter a password, try changing the
network, trying to connect, and then change it back.

--
JJZolx