SuperQ;640803 Wrote:
> It doesn't really matter because squeezebox server will automatically
> downsample files to the maximum supported by each player.

I am thinking to get an HK reveriver 3390 or 3490. The 3490 has digital
inputs and the DAC in it is "an AKM, AK-4384 DAC which offers a 24 bit
192Khz setup design. It has a Cirrus Logic CS 48560 DSP". If the server
automatically down-sample files then there is no point to get the 3490
with digital inputs?

I am not an audiophile at all. Just trying to make an informed decision
and learn something :-)

Another question. Some say all amplifiers will colorize the "raw
source" so it is always better to use line level. Others say if one
keeps the headphone jack volume (like on SB radio) at about 2/3, there
is actually no distortion or noise introduced. Who is right? I am
thinking if, as some said, the raw signal is a steady signal at 1-1.5
volts, does that mean at certain volume level (maybe 2/3 or whatever)
the internal amplifier is in fact not working therefore no
distortion/colorization/noise is let into the external amp of a
receiver? Or the internal amplifier is working but introduce no more
noise than the line-level at steady 1-1.5 volt?

--
verycd