Thanks all.

Some of this I don't understand - will have to do some more
investigating.

I really don't want to go down the remote control/smartphone route -
the whole point of the radio is that it's a convenient stand-alone unit
which is easy to control direct from the controls on the unit.

So is there really no way to at least skip to a particular letter using
the controls on the radio?  I can't find anything which will do it.
With almost 4000 artists on my database, even getting to the end of the
As takes a while...

This is a bit of a deal breaker, so if I can't sort this out the radio
will probably go back.

Cheers.

--
pqpq