AFAIU, in the TKIP/AES mode, the router starts with AES (the newest/best
standard), and if the client won't accept AES, the router tries to
fallback to TKIP.

If all your devices support AES, stick with that.

Linksys E3000 (DD-WRT 16785) works well for me. It even tangents my old
WRT54GL when it comes to reliability and distance, not many routers do.
The conditions around here can be pretty challenging too.

The E3000 can run 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz simultaneously. The 5 GHz band can
be useful if
a) you have client(s) that support it and
b) the distance between router and client is short, and the line of
sight obstacles are few.