I've noticed exactly the the same thing recently. I always run from
mains power when my Radio is used as a bedside alarm and one evening I
noticed it had turned itself off and wouldn't restart. After unplugging
and replugging a few times it finally started charging. I always check
that the battery charging icon appears after plugging in now and the
time taken for it to appear seems to vary. This affects both my Radios.
The Radio does not seem to detect that the charger has been connected
sometimes. This doesn't really help but it does show that it doesn't
only affect your Radio.