Thanks for all the suggestions.  I've now tried all of them but with no
success unfortunately.

After the factory reset the radio actually started downloading the 7.6.1
update but it crashed at 48% and then rebooted itself (without updating
obviously).  The same thing happened (also at 48% I think) when trying
to update to 7.7.2 via MySqueezeBox.  Weird.

I also tried manually copying fresh versions of 7.6.1 into my server's
cache/updates folder but this didn't have any effect.

I tried the rollback as suggested by toby10, but when I held the rewind
button down while rebooting I got nothing at all on the screen - no boot
up, nothing.  I followed the instructions here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?89302-How-to-rollback-7-6-to-previous-version-WITHOUT-SBS-installed

I assume this might be because there was nothing to rollback to (as the
radio arrived with 7.7.1 installed already)?

Right now I'm back where I started - with the radio working but
continually pestering for updates which it can't seem to apply.

Any other ideas?  Can I ssh into the radio and clear out some caches
perhaps?