Just found out today about this move to the UE platform. What sucks for
me about this is I wrote an article (published in the September 2012
issue of Linux Journal) which praised how forward thinking Logitech was
for keeping this platform open. On the front cover it states "Stream
Your Music with Logitech Squeezbox's Open Platform". More fool me for
thinking it would stay that way.

I wouldn't be nearly as irritated if the UE was just a rebranded
Squeezebox, but crippling the device is just criminal.

Alas, it was difficult to put into words how awesome the Squeezebox
really was, but for the friends who got a chance to see the power and
flexibility of the Squeezebox, it was a real eye-opener. Too bad
Logitech is short-sighted enough to not capitalize on folks who can help
do their marketing for them.