On the topic of central server dependence.. I'm pretty outspoken on that
issue, even though I don't see all the ramifications yet.

My preference will *always* be a design that reduces dependency.
Dependency usually means vendor lock-in and a number of other things.

For instance I don't really understand why easy-to-deploy server
packages are not more actively used on home computers. Any PC could be
turned into a webserver. Opera browser has such an architecture with
Opera Unite but it is horrible to have it as part of a webbrowser that
crashes frequently. I would love something that easily allowed me to
share content on my computer or send files to people using a
client-server architecture that didn't depend on something like Windows
Live Messenger. Something that wouldn't require me to use Dropbox. I
will soon probably have it in the form of a Synology NAS.

Dependency goes hand in hand with centralization, and that means
control-at-the-top. It's a paradigm, or a system with co-dependent
components. The future will see independency and decentralization as the
main design, if I have my way ;-). A system with power at the roots; the
grass-roots.

But this world is run by centralization-driven dynamics and for
something like Logitech it is only natural to employ a client-server
architecture with an online service that is completely owned and
controlled by Logitech, and that needs Logitech to continue existing and
granting that service. It's no different from the consolidation of the
big actors that create platforms that are mutually exclusive to the
largest extent possible (for them), such as Apple with iOS, Google with
Android, and Microsoft with whatever they are going to call it -
Windows. Platforms that offer services all in conjunction with each
other in order to dispersuade you from choosing anything sold by a
competitor.

In that world the small players are going to have a harder time
competing on anything. Apple, Google and Microsoft will buy up any
company that offers something enthralling that they don't yet have. For
them it is unacceptable that some small company steals a piece of the
pie they have envisioned for themselves. So we are seeing a world that
gets segregated and divided in different 'worlds' and in which it only
makes sense to belong to any one of them.

SlimDevices was a company that you would expect to see in the
alternative paradigm world. The small companies, run by enthusiasts,
possibly teaming up with other small companies to create open platforms.
Cooperation instead of competition. Differentiation as a way of
specializing in a certain application domain so as to find a viable
'niche' for every player. If you serve a specific clientele, there is no
need to compete to the death with other companies selling the exact same
thing you are selling. For a worldwide technology company, this means
selling a unique product that offers something no other product offers,
and which no other product/company feels like offering, because there is
enough room for everyone. Squeezebox is not Sonos, and should never
attempt to be, nor the other way around. Squeezebox is also not AirPlay,
although I wouldn't mind seeing Squeezeboxes support DLNA, at -least- as
a way to push data (computing device acts as controller and server, SB
acts as renderer) to the Squeezebox for playback.

You can perfectly use top-down controlled standards such as DLNA as
components of your bottom-up developed platform. I see the potential for
an alliance of Winamp/Nullsoft, MusicBrainz, SlimDevices, Synology (and
QNAP) to create a single 'platform' or 'concept' for enjoying personal
audio in the home environment.

- MusicBrainz acts as the tagging service and possibly the databank
where you register and list your collection
- Winamp acts as a compatible Windows audio player with DLNA support
that is capable of displaying Picard-tagged files perfectly while being
able to drive Squeezeboxes with gapless DLNA.
- Synology and QNAP act as the central data store in your home to serve
the music library enjoyed by both Winamp and SB.
- Squeezebox acts as the hardware music player.

There are more candidates for this alliance:
- Whitebear is a media server wrapper that provides DLNA support for
LMS.
- BubbleUPnP is a DLNA control point for Android. Kinsky is a DLNA
control point for iOS/Windows/Mac OS/Linux that is not being actively
developed.
- OpenHome has the 'ohMedia' (http://www.openhome.org/wiki/OhMedia)
standard to extend DLNA (basically) with a more fully developed and
understood feature set. It is more of a theoretical specification (it
seems) than anything that has ready real world value, but these people
might be persuaded to develop a true DLNA extension that would be
carried and supported by this platform alliance.

One thing to note: the typical open source project organizations such as
Mozilla that provide products for free without any kind of accessibility
and without a central point of accountability (or none at all) are not
really qualified to enter such alliances. Ideally these alliances
consist of for-the-money companies that provide an excellent customer
experience both in terms of the product and the customer service
offered. MusicBrainz is very different from Mozilla or Apache, and you
may notice the topic changes in scope now. Mozilla and Apache provide no
customer access entry point since they don't have customers; only users.
Likewise Youtube, GMail, Google Search, Hotmail/Outlook, etc., don't
have customers, only users. The customers are advertisers, which means
control rests at the top of the pyramids that we know in this world.
Apache also succumbs to demands from the top. MusicBrainz is carried by
its users/editors, therefore users have a say. It is like Wikipedia.

But let us return to the topic of small tech alliances. You want
companies that are privately owned and that exist within a specific
niche, or companies/orgs that are 'owned' by the public (users). Typical
'publicly-owned' companies are not publicly owned at all, they are owned
by big money interests.

So you could have such an alliance, and you would typically want to see
'one of each' to avoid competition which is the obstacle to cooperation.
Therefore if you have 'two of each' they must specialize in a certain
feature set or target audience or user experience that differentiates
them from the other, and agree to uphold and out-develop this
differentiation. Geographical disjunction (each company serves a certain
part of the world) can also serve as a non-competition agreement, but
that is only meaningful for hardware companies or webservice providers
(e.g. the Netherlands has this Amazon-lookalike called Bol.com that
basically only serves the Dutch-speaking language domain).

Once this platform alliance exist, other (small) companies can seek to
come together to create a competing platform that -also- differentiates
from the first platform enough to warrant its existence, thereby
arriving in the position to seek cooperation with the first platform
such that the platforms become interoperable to some (large) extent. The
cluster then gains in power. Suddenly there is an alliance of
alliances.

Until the hierarchy of alliances reaches the very top, from a
grass-roots, bottom-up methodology, top-down standards such as DLNA/UPnP
will continue to be employed and extended until such time comes that
there exists a unified global alliance not controlled by any big money
interests, consisting only of relatively small companies or
user-controlled platforms, and the world will be a completely different
place, because the power of the big actors has been broken; big-money
exerts no influence; customers and users and employees hold all the
keys, and the alliance of alliances is so large, so strong and so
unified, that the multinational corporations tremble in agony as they
see their whole way of being dissolve; their whole way of making money
fade away; and their whole way of gaining power crumble to nothing but
ashes.

Amen to that.